I have endured a lot of pain and resilience during my time as a victim of bullying. I didn’t want to become a slave to my circumstances and allow the opinions of others to define me. Here is what I would say to anyone who is a victim of bullying and can’t find a way out:
1) Anyone who has to hurt others is not happy. There have been times where I felt compelled to say something hurtful because I was unhappy. The same goes for bullies.
2) No one deserves to be a victim of bullying. What bullies do says a lot about them, not you.
3) You can be a loner and still stand up to bullies. As long as you are secure within, you will let others know they can’t rattle you.
4) Strength comes in numbers. Befriend the outsiders and fellow victims.
5) Set boundaries. Do what fits your personality.
6) Recognize the signs. If an individual overtly or covertly tries to assert dominance, they are bullying you.
7) Document everything. Include the date, time, what was said/done, and the witnesses.
8) Report the bullying after you attempted to set boundaries. Include the documentation and any witnesses willing to defend you.
9) Fitting in is overrated. Own your quirks and your individuality. Bullies would kill to have your courage because they are afraid of being too ordinary.
10) It gets better. Time heals. If you truly love who you are, everything will fall into place. Be patient.
What would you add to the list? Please comment below!